Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Saint Therese on Happiness

Dryness and drowsiness – such is the state of my soul in its intercourse with Jesus!

But since my Beloved wishes to sleep I shall not prevent Him. I am only too happy that He does not treat me as a stranger, but rather in a homely way.

             image

He riddles His “little ball” with pin-pricks that hurt indeed, though when they come from the Hand of this loving Friend, the pain is all
sweetness, so gentle is His touch.  How different the hand of Man!

Yet I am happy, most happy to suffer! If Jesus Himself does not pierce me, He guides the hand which does. Mother! if you knew how utterly indifferent to earthly things I desire to be, and of how little concern to me are all the beauties of creation.

I should be wretched were I to possess them. My heart seems so vast when I think of the goods of earth – all of them together
unable to full it. But by the side of Jesus how small does it appear! He is full good to me – this God who soon will be my Spouse.

He is divinely lovable for not permitting me to be the captive of any passing joy. He knows well that if He sent me but a shadow of earthly happiness I should cling to it with all the intense ardor of my heart, and He refuses even this shadow … He prefers to leave me in darkness, rather than afford me a false glimmer which would not be Himself.

I do not wish creatures to have one atom of my love. I wish to give all to Jesus, since He makes me understand that He alone is perfect happiness. All! – all shall be for Him!

And even when I have nothing, as is the case to-night, I will give Him this nothing …

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus wishes for Himself all the blood of our hearts. You are right – it costs us dear to give Him what He asks. But what a joy that it does cost! It is happiness to bear our crosses, and to feel our weakness in doing so.

Far from complaining to Our Lord of this cross which He sends us, I cannot fathom the Infinite Love which has led Him to treat us in this way.

Our dear Father must indeed be loved by God to have so much suffering given to him. It is a delight for us to be humbled
with him.

I know that by humiliation alone can Saints be made, and I also know that our trial is a mine of gold for us to turn to account. I, who am but a little grain of sand, wish to set to work,
though I have neither courage nor strength.

Now this very want of power will make my task easier, for I wish to work for love. Our martyrdom is beginning … Let us go forth to suffer together, dear sister, and let us offer our sufferings to Jesus for the salvation of souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment